Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company that has pursued and achieved breakthroughs in medicine for more than three decades, with the goal of creating a healthier world for all people. The company is committed to advancing innovative medicines to prevent and treat life-threatening diseases, including HIV, viral hepatitis, and cancer. Gilead operates in more than 35 countries worldwide, with headquarters in Foster City, California.
Intern - Automation Engineering
As a Gilead Intern, you will contribute to high-impact meaningful projects that will not only further advance our company’s mission but will allow you to gain real world experience at one of the most innovative organizations in the world. You will also have opportunities to participate in special events including professional development and leadership presentations, social/network building activities and local community volunteer programs.
Key Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
The Automation Engineer Intern provides technical support for all Automation engineering aspects in the delivery of capital projects and engineering services for research and development (R&D) laboratories, clinical manufacturing related facilities, and warehouses at Gilead's Corporate Headquarters in Foster City, CA. Position reports to Principal Automation Engineer.
- Works with Senior Automation Engineers to integrate various instruments/automation equipment/systems to PI Historian and Foster City Ignition SCADA. This includes:
- IoT devices that communicates via MQTT protocol
- Wireless sensors that communicate via LoRaWAN network
- Equipment that communicates via BACnet or ModBus protocol
- Allen-Bradley PLC based equipment that communicates via Ethernet/IP protocol
- Works with end users from cross functional teams to determine the type of data to be archived in PI Historian.
- Works with end users from cross functional teams to create Ignition SCADA graphics, PI Vision templates and Tableau dashboards that allow end users to easily navigate to the data of interest for specific room area or equipment.
- Creates test plans and validate the Ignition/PI integrations and data mapping.
- Uses the SEEQ, PI and Tableau analytics to help drive data-based decisions with operations and maintenance groups.
- Supports creation, modification, and maintenance of automation system (i.e. Allen-Bradley PLC based system) and documentation, including automation specification documents and procedures.
- Showcase your work with a final poster board presentation near the conclusion of your internship
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must have a minimum GPA of 2.8
- Authorized to work in the United States without Sponsorship now or in the future
- Must be currently enrolled as a full-time student in a Bachelor’s/Masters program at an accredited US based university or college
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s (3rd year or greater) or Master’s Degree in Engineering (Electrical, Mechanical or Chemical).
- Must be a Rising Sophomore, Junior, or Senior in undergrad or a Graduate or Doctoral Student
- Must be enrolled full-time in the Fall Semester at an accredited university/college after the completion of the internship
- Must be able to complete a 10-12 consecutive week internship between May and August
- Must be able to relocate if necessary and work at the designated site for the duration of the internship
- Must show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination and first booster shot
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite
- Ability to identify issues and seek solutions
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusion and diversity in the workplace
- Experience working in a self-driven, performance/results oriented, fast paced matrix environment.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, including data analysis, root cause investigations and issue resolutions.
- Efficient, organized, and able to handle short timelines in a fast-paced environment
Gilead Core Values:
- Integrity (Doing What’s Right)
- Inclusion (Encouraging Diversity)
- Teamwork (Working Together)
- Excellence (Being Your Best)
- Accountability (Taking Personal Responsibility)
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences has a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law poster.