Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company founded in 1987. Together we deliver life-saving therapies to patients in need. With the commitment and drive you bring to the workplace every day, you will be part of a team that is changing the world and helping millions of people live healthier, more fulfilling lives. Our worldwide staff is a close community where you can see the tangible results of your contributions, where every individual matters, and everyone has a chance to enhance their skills through ongoing development. Our scientific focus has resulted in marketed products that are benefiting millions of people, a pipeline of late-stage drug candidates, and unmatched patient access programs to ensure medications are available to those who could otherwise not afford them. By joining Gilead, you will further our mission to address unmet medical needs and improve life by advancing the care of patients with life-threatening diseases.
Undergraduate/Graduate Intern - Automation Engineering
As a Gilead Intern, you will contribute to high-impact meaningful projects that will not only further advance our company’s mission but will allow you to gain real world experience at one of the most innovative organizations in the world. You will also have opportunities to participate in special events including professional development and leadership presentations, social/network building activities and local community volunteer programs.
Key Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
The Automation Engineer Intern provides technical support for all Automation engineering aspects in the delivery of capital projects and engineering services for research and development (R&D) laboratories, clinical manufacturing related facilities, and warehouses at Gilead's Corporate Headquarters in Foster City, CA. Position reports to Principal Automation Engineer.
- Works with Senior Automation Engineers to integrate various instruments/automation equipment/systems to PI Historian and Foster City Ignition SCADA. This includes:
- IoT devices that communicates via MQTT protocol
- Equipment that communicates via BACnet or ModBus protocol
- Allen-Bradley PLC based equipment that communicates via Ethernet/IP protocol
- Works with end users from cross functional teams to determine the type of data to be archived in PI Historian.
- Works with end users from cross functional teams to create Ignition SCADA graphics, PI Vision templates and Tableau dashboards that allow end users to easily navigate to the data of interest for specific room area or equipment.
- Creates test plans and validate the Ignition/PI integrations and data mapping.
- Uses the SEEQ, PI and Tableau analytics to help drive data-based decisions with operations and maintenance groups.
- Supports creation, modification, and maintenance of automation system (i.e. Allen-Bradley PLC based system) and documentation, including automation specification documents and procedures.
- Showcase your work with a final poster board presentation near the conclusion of your internship
Application deadline is 11:59PM EST on Friday, 21 January 2022
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be currently enrolled as a full-time student in a Bachelor’s or Masters Engineering degree program at an accredited US based university or college
- Must be 3rd year or great in undergraduate program: however, NO PhD students
- Must NOT be an international student
- Must be enrolled in the Fall Semester at an accredited university/college after the completion of the internship
- Must have a minimum GPA of 2.8
- Must be able to complete a 10-12 consecutive week internship between June and September
- Must be able to relocate if necessary and work at the designated site for the duration of the internship
- Must show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination* prior to start of internship
- Degree concentration in Engineering (Chemical, Electrical, and/or Mechanical)
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite
- Ability to identify issues and seek solutions
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusion and diversity in the workplace
- Efficient, organized, and able to handle short timelines in a fast-paced environment
Gilead Core Values:
- Integrity (Doing What’s Right)
- Inclusion (Encouraging Diversity)
- Teamwork (Working Together)
- Excellence (Being Your Best)
- Accountability (Taking Personal Responsibility)
The purpose of the vaccination requirement is to minimize the spread of COVID-19 in the workplace and support the health and safety of our communities. *A person is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after the second dose of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request an accommodation.
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences has a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance. For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law poster.